Yields: 4 servings
· 1 cup long-grain brown rice
· 4 large red bell peppers, bottom trimmed, cap cut off and seeds removed
· 1 large onion, diced
· 2 cloves of garlic
· 2 TBSP coconut oil or olive oil
· 1 lb of 99% fat free Ground turkey meat
· 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes, diced
· 2-3 tsp of dried basil
· 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
· 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar
- Cook brown rice according to package directions, or using a rice cooker.
- Preheat oven to 375F.Cut the top of each bell pepper and remove seeds and whites.
- Trim bottom of bell peppers so they have a little flat surface to stand up on.
- Place cleaned out peppers in a baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes
- Add the ground turkey in the same skillet and brown. Add the tomatoes, dried spices and pepper. Mix well cook for an additional 4-5 minutes to blend.
- Add the cooked rice and Parmesan cheese to the turkey mixture and blend together. Stuff the rice / turkey mixture into the cleaned out peppers so it’s tightly packed into the pepper shell.
- Bake the peppers for 30 minutes.