Yields: 6 servings
- 1 can no-salt-added black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive or canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 6 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes , sliced
- 1/2 small red onion , thinly sliced
- Put beans in a large bowl and mash well with a fork. Add egg, yellow onion, bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Mix well to combine then shape into 6 PATTIES.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange patties in a single layer (working in batches, if needed) and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to buns, top with lettuce, tomatoes and red onions and serve.
Thanks, wholefoods market for the recipe!