- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or
- pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
- optional: more chips, for presentation
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.)
- Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
- Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies.
- The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient